Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup


I found this recipe on one of my favorite sites a long time ago. We now make it at least once a month. So good, so easy and healthy!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from Cooking Light.

Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion (I just use 1 large sweet onion)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 10 ounces)
  • 1 can of whole-kernel corn
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans no-salt-added chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced peeled tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat reduced-sodium tomato soup, undiluted
  • tortilla chips (I make my own from ww tortillas)
  • fat-free sour cream

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
  2. Add onion and garlic; saute 2 minutes.
  3. Stir in chicken and next 9 ingredients (chicken through tomato soup); bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Ladle soup into bowls; top with tortilla chips and sour cream.
I usually make the chicken ahead of time. Although this recipe is extremely easy, the prep does take a good amount of time and then you have to let it simmer for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment